Off Campus Courses

The deadline to submit Off-Campus Course Permission Forms for Summer 2018 has passed. The next opportunity to submit off-campus coursework for pre-approval will be in Fall 2018.

Students may choose to take additional coursework off campus to supplement their CCA courses, to free up class periods for other pursuits, or to improve their GPA.  If you are considering taking a course off campus, including at a community college, please read the following carefully:

  • Students must be enrolled at a district high school while attending an off campus class in order to receive credit on a San Dieguito Union High School District (SDUHSD) transcript. No student may begin to acquire high school credits until the day after the completion of the 8th grade.
  • No more than 30 credits from college courses, private instruction, or public school courses may be transferred onto the high school transcript.
  • Off campus math courses may not be used to accelerate from college prep to SDUHSD honors level math courses unless they are taken in combination with a SDUHSD Bridge course (see current counselor for bridge information).
  • The institution where the course is taken must be a WASC or otherwise regionally accredited school that offers coursework leading to a high school diploma. Courses taken through providers that are WASC-accredited as Supplementary Ed will not be accepted for credit. It is the student's responsibility to research courses and assure that the institution is appropriately accredited.
  • SDUHSD will not accept the following online coursework for creditvisual and performing arts, physical education courses, or lab science courses.
  • Courses in language other than English from non-accredited or WASC Supplementary Ed schools will be awarded elective credit on the SDUHSD transcript only if the school is on the SDUHSD-approved list of Schools and Programs Approved for World Language Transfer Credit for the current school year.  To receive college preparatory elective credit, the language school must be fully WASC-accredited as a high school and/or be UC approved.
  • The student shall receive the same letter grade for the high school credit as is granted by the college, public or private institution.
  • Off campus college courses and private or public school honors courses do not receive weighted credit on SDUHSD transcripts with the exception of Pre-Calculus Honors and College Board Advanced Placement (AP) courses. AP courses must be on the school’s AP Course Audit Ledger for the year taken in order to be placed on the transcript. 
  • A single (3 unit) college course is equal to a 5 credit high school course.
  • For any course not required for high school graduation, a student may choose not to post off campus coursework to the CCA transcript and may submit outside transcripts directly to colleges at the time of application.
  • Based on its admission practices, a college may accept off campus or online courses, or count certain off campus courses as weighted in the student's GPA calculated for college admission.  Off campus college courses may also be accepted as transferable credits.  Students should check with specific colleges for their policies.
  • Not all off-campus courses satisfy graduation or college entrance requirements. CCA cannot confirm whether an off campus course is comprehensive, aligned with our curriculum or if it will adequately prepare a student for the next level course at CCA or standardized tests. We cannot recommend any specific off campus program and it is SDUHSD policy not to proctor outside exams.
  • Coursework transferred to a student's transcript remains there permanently.  Once it is added, it cannot be removed.  
  • Off campus courses cannot be counted as part of the student's required daily attendance.


    If you want an off campus course to be posted on your CCA transcript, please follow all of these steps:

  • Speak with your counselor to discuss your reason for taking an off-campus course and to determine if the course will meet requirements. 
  • Submit an SDUHSD Off Campus Course Permission Form prior to starting the course.  It needs to be filled out completely, including all applicable signatures.
  • When you finish the course, you must have an official transcript from the institution where you took the course sent directly to the CCA Registrar.  CCA can only accept official transcripts and only the Registrar can post credits and grades. Off campus transcripts must be received by May to be posted to that year's transcript in June.

Community College FormsTop of Page

To enroll in a community college course, K-12 students also need a specific form for students who are minors.  Click on the links below to locate these Concurrent Enrollment forms for local schools.   For MiraCosta OR Palomar, your COUNSELOR may sign as the designee (the principal's signature is not required).  For San Diego City Colleges, you need to have the Principal or Assistant Principal sign your form and the registrar stamp it.